About Cedar Point
In Sandusky, Ohio is the one of the world’s best amusement parks, Cedar Point. Cedar Point is a 364 acre park that is located on an island on Lake Erie. The park opened in 1870 making it the second oldest park in the United States. The park has 72 rides and 18 of them are world class roller coasters. The park is open during normal hours from May to the first week of September and from October to November they are open on the weekends with a Halloween theme-HalloWeekends. Along with the amusement park, Cedar Point has a sand beach, Cedar Point Shores, Castaway Bay, two marinas, and Cedar Point Sports Center.
The roller coasters at Cedar Point are so diverse that there is ride for everyone in the family to love. This place is truly The Roller Coaster Capital of the World! It’s hard to rank all the rides because they are all so fun and different but below you will find the ride names and their features. You can visit the website to watch videos of the rides and read more about rider safety information.
- Blue Streak
- The oldest ride in Cedar Point, built in 1964! It reaches a speed of 40 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes.
- Cedar Creek Mine Ride
- It’s a mine for thrills! It reaches a height of 48 feet, speed of 40 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 50 seconds.
- It will flash your nerves of steel! It reaches a speed of 48 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes.
- It’s a great thrill and one of my favorites! It reaches a height of 170 feet, speed of 67 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes.
- It’s a race! It reaches a height of 125 feet, speed of 60 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 40 seconds.
- Iron Dragon
- I’ts the dragon ride that soars over the Cedar Point Lagoon. It reaches a height of 76 feet, speed of 40 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Magnum XL-200
- The first roller coaster to top 200 feet. It reaches a height of 205 feet, speed of 72 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 45 seconds.
- This ride really does act like a bucking bronco. It reaches a height of 105 feet, speed of 70 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Millennium Force
- This ranked as one of the world’s best steel coasters for many years! It reaches a height of 310 feet, speed of 93 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes.
- Pipe Scream
- I’ts like riding a skateboard. It reaches a height of 43 feet, speed of 43 MPH, and a length of 302 feet.
- This ride rules the sky! It was my first roller coaster ride ever. It has 6 inversions, reaches a speed of 57 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
- This was the first floorless coaster at Cedar Point. It reaches a height of 145 feet, speed of 60 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Steel Vengeance
- This ride is the newest as it opened in May of 2018. This may be my favorite ride! It reaches a height of 205 feet, speed of 74 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Top Thrill Dragster
- This ride will take your breathe away! You must ride it! In just 3.8 seconds you will go 0 to 120 MPH. It reaches a height of 420 feet, speed of 120 MPH, and has a duration of 17 seconds.
- The tallest, fastest, longest dive coaster in the United States!! It reaches a height of 223 feet, speed of 75 MPH, and has a duration of 2 minutes and 23 seconds.
- Wicked Twister
- Stop, drop and roar! It reaches a height of 215 feet, speed of 72 MPH, and a length of 675 feet.
- Wilderness Run
- This ride is good to start if you never road a roller coaster before. It reaches a height of 19 feet, speed of 6 MPH, and has a duration of 50 seconds.
- Woodstock Express
- Great ride for the kids! It reaches a height of 38 feet, speed of 25 MPH, and has a duration of 1 minute and 10 seconds.
Less Busy Time to Visit
If you want to visit the park when it’s less crowded, I recommend going anytime in May as it would be your best bet, especially during the week days. This is the time before school lets out and the big crowds of summer. Another less crowded time to go is in September as the park is only open on the weekends in this month. Any other time of the year you can expect the crowds to be bigger.
HalloWeekend! This is the time that my family and I go. There are so many events going on throughout the entire weekend that it’s fun for everyone! (Some family members get sick on rides) We like to rent a cabin for our weekend visit at the park. When you rent a cabin, your entry to the park is included! We found it easier on us, a family of 7-10, to do it this way so we can leave the park at anytime to go back to the cabin to eat. It also keeps all of us together instead of having a hotel room and being split up. A cool thing about HalloWeekend is that you can even decorate the outside of your cabin to enter a contest! It’s fun for everyone.
Fast Passes and Gold Pass
If you live close to the park, I highly recommend getting the Gold Pass. The gold pass for 2020 is only $99, compared to a day’s ticket at $45.99. The gold pass includes unlimited visits to Cedar Point and Cedar Point Shores Waterpark every public operating day as well as free parking and discounts throughout the park!
If you are visiting for only the weekend, I highly recommend getting the Fast Lane passes. If you like the big roller coaster rides such as Steel Vengeance, Valravn, Maverick, Top Thrill and GateKeeper, then you need the Fast Lane +. Usually the park is crowded and wait times for the rides can range from 30 minutes to 4 hours. With the fast pass, your wait time will be 0 to maybe 60 minutes(depending on the popularity of ride). The price range on the fast pass will change depending on the day of visit. I promise it is worth the price!